Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
with carrots and turnips
We love doing a slow cooker meal on Halloween, so that your kiddos can fill up on something warm and comforting before hitting their trick-or-treating run! This simple curry is satisifying and full of flavor, perfect for the fall night.
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 1 1/4 lbs , peeled and chopped
- Turnips - 1 lb , peeled and chopped
- Chicken, bone-in drumsticks, skin removed - 2 lbs
- Curry powder - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 5 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Limes - 1/2 , sliced into wedges
- Onions / Carrots / Turnips - Prep as directed. Can be stored in 1 container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Remove skin. Salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Sear chicken (optional step) - Heat up a skillet or the bowl of your slow cooker if it’s stovetop friendly. Add some oil (not in ingredient list) and then sear chicken in heated oil for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Start slow cooking - Combine chicken, onions, carrots, turnips, curry powder, fish sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock and bay leaves in the bowl of your slow cooker. Slow cook on low for 5 to 6 hours until chicken is falling off the bone. If not slow cooking, heat up a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add some oil (not listed in ingredients) and sear chicken. Add rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. (Can be done 5 days before)
- Rewarm curry if cooked ahead of time. Season to taste with salt, pepper or fish sauce.
- Serve curry with lime wedges for a bright finish!