Slow Cooker Chicken Currywith carrots and potatoes
We love doing a slow cooker meal on Halloween, so that your kiddos can fill up on something warm and comforting before hitting their trick-or-treating run! This simple curry is satisifying and full of flavor, perfect for the fall night.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 1 lb, peeled and chopped
- Potatoes, russet - 3/4 lb, peeled and chopped
- Chicken, bone-in drumsticks, skin removed - 1 1/2 lbs
- Curry powder - 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 4 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Baguette - 10 oz ((any crusty type))
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Onions / Carrots / Potatoes - Prep as directed. Can be stored in 1 container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Remove skin. Salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Sear chicken (optional step) - Heat up a skillet or the bowl of your slow cooker if it’s stovetop friendly. Add some oil (not in ingredient list) and then sear chicken in heated oil for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Start slow cooking - Combine chicken, onions, carrots, potatoes, curry powder, fish sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock and bay leaves in the bowl of your slow cooker. Slow cook on low for 5 to 6 hours until chicken is falling off the bone. If not slow cooking, heat up a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add some oil (not listed in ingredients) and sear chicken. Add rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. (Can be done 5 days before)
- Rewarm curry if cooked ahead of time. Season to taste with salt, pepper or fish sauce.
- Toast baguette and use it to soak up your delicious curry sauce. Serve with lime wedges!
This meal has 54 reviews
Not bad but not my favorite. Did like the chicken thigh meat that just fell off the bone though, great for a slow cooker.
Big hit and so easy! I used four large skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs and removed the skin and bones and shredded prior to serving over jasmine rice. I used about 2 cups of broth and a Caribbean curry. It didn't have quite enough kick so we each added some chili garlic sauce to our individual bowls and it was perfect. Served with naan. Yum!
A new favorite! Super tasty. Made with skin-on leg/thigh combo and wings, reduced broth to 3 cups, cooked in a dutch oven on the stove. The curry thickened up nicely. Added 1 T of cumin and skipped the rice.
Based on comments below modified the sauce by adding brown sugar and 2 cups of coconut milk as per another curry recipe. Also removed the lid for the last bit to allow some water to evaporate and the sauce to thicken. Served over rice instead of baguette.
This was definitely pretty liquidy, so I made some rice to soak it up, but I'm not sure why others are complaining it was bland! I thought this was very flavorful. I added a smidge of garam masala like I saw some people did, but I don't know how much of a difference it made.
Too much work! I use a slow cooker for ease and speed!