Skillet Baked Eggs with Ground Turkey
with Italian house salad
- Cucumber, medium - 1 , cubed
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , chopped
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Salad greens - 4 oz
- Ground turkey - 1/2 lb
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 1 cloves , crushed
- Red pepper flakes - 1/8 tsp
- Sweetener of choice - 1/2 tsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Onion - 1 , diced
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , diced
- Mushrooms, any button (look for pre-sliced to save time) - 6 oz , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 6
Ground turkey - Season with fennel seeds and some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Sauce - Mix together crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, sweetener and crushed tomatoes with a dash of salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Cucumber / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
Preheat oven to 375F / 163C degrees.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions with a dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Next add in ground turkey, mushrooms, green peppers and sauce. Saute for another 3 minutes, breaking up turkey with a wooden spoon.
Make 6 indentations, and then crack an egg into each one. Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until the whites are set and but the yolks are still a bit runny.
While skillet is baking, whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard and olive oil. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
When eggs are done, toss vinaigrette with greens, cucumbers and tomatoes. Serve skillet eggs hot with side salad!