with bell peppers / mushrooms / avocado cream
Southwestern Tilapia and Vegetables:
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 3/4 tsp
- Paprika - 3/4 tsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 2 , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button (look for pre-sliced to save time) - 8 oz , sliced
- Tilapia - 1 1/2 lb
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Baby carrots - 1/2 lb
- Avocados, medium - 2
- Cucumbers - 1/2 cup , chopped
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Make spice mix - Combine salt (the portion for the tilapia), garlic powder, paprika, coriander and cumin. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make avocado ‘cream’ - Halve avocado and scoop out flesh. Blend salt (the portion for the avocado cream), cucumber, avocado and lime juice (the portion for the avocado cream) in a blender (or use a hand blender) until smooth. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Mushrooms - Prep as directed and store separately. (If making Thursday's meal, you can prep bell peppers and mushrooms for that night at the same time.) (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Season tilapia - Rub tilapia in half the spice mix (reserve the other half).
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then mushrooms. Saute until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and reserved half of spice mix and saute until peppers are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Transfer peppers and mushrooms to a serving bowl and top with lime juice and cilantro.
- Wipe out pan if needed and return to medium-high heat. Add second part of oil and then tilapia to heated oil.
- Cook fish for 1 1/2 to 3 minutes on each side, depending on thickness of fillets. (Add a splash of additional oil if needed, to prevent fish from sticking.)
- Serve some of the avocado cream over the tilapia and vegetables. Serve the other half with baby carrots for dipping. Enjoy!