Spicy (or not) Black Bean Soup
with avocado / chips
Spicy (or not) Black Bean Soup:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Jalapenos - 1 , seeded and diced
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separate
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Peppers, chipotle (opt - canned, found usually in adobo sauce) - 1
- Coriander - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 2 1/2 cups
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Corn kernels, frozen - 1 cup
- Tomatoes, roma - 2 , diced
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Tortilla chips, for serving (opt) - 2 cups
- Garlic / Onions / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Garlic, onions, and jalapenos can be mixed together, and feel free to save some jalapeno for garnish. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Canned tomatoes - Drain tomatoes.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic, onion and jalapeno mixture. Saute for ~2 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Stir in red wine vinegar, honey, tomato paste, chipotle pepper (if using), coriander, cumin and salt. Saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until the flavors really start to build.
- Add tomatoes, all but 1 cup (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly if customizing) of beans and stock to the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While soup simmers, chop avocados and toss with lime juice. Warm up corn (if frozen) and dice tomatoes.
- Once soup has simmered, blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in batches. If using an immersion blender, we recommend you place the pot into the sink to prevent spattering. Season to taste with more honey, vinegar, spices, or salt.
- Divide into bowls and let everyone garnish soup with reserved beans, tomatoes, corn, avocados, green onions and yogurt. Enjoy with chips!