Slow-Cooker (or not) Chicken Stew
with side salad
This rich, filling meal takes inspiration from Chicken Noodle Soup but can be made in the slow-cooker or on the stove-top and is loaded with chicken and vegetables (you won't even miss the noodles in this paleo-friendly version!). Serve with a fresh, crisp Romaine lettuce salad on the side.
Chicken and Vegetable Stew:
- Baby carrots - 1/2 lb , sliced
- Onions - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 6 oz , chopped
- Chicken, bone-in & skinless breasts - 1 lb
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotle peppers) - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Romaine and Avocado Salad:
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head , chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 2 , diced
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Carrots / Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Chicken - Chop mushrooms (skip if you bought pre-chopped mushrooms). Season chicken with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Slow-cook stew - Combine carrots, onions, garlic, mushrooms and chicken in the bowl of a slow-cooker. Pour stock and adobo sauce over top. Add thyme, salt and black pepper and stir to combine. Cook on low 7 to 8 hours (3 to 4 hours on high). (Note: If you prefer not to use the slow-cooker, you can also brown the chicken with some oil in a Dutch oven. Set chicken aside and add vegetables to pan. Saute until vegetables begin to soften. Add chicken, stock, adobo sauce, thyme, salt and black pepper. Simmer on low-medium until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed and combine.
- When chicken is cooked through, use a fork and knife to shred chicken right in the slow-cooker. Remove bones from the soup.
- Add peas (drain first if using canned) to slow-cooker and continue cooking until peas are warmed through, ~5 minutes.
- While soup simmers, whisk together mustard, maple syrup and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil while whisking. Add lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and pepitas and toss to combine.
- Stir lemon juice into stew. Taste and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Divide stew between bowls and top with cilantro. Serve salad on the side and enjoy!