Pineapple Fried Coconut Ricewith cashews / bell peppers / eggs
Tuesday's leftover coconut rice contributes an extra layer of flavor to this quick weeknight meal with savory aromatics and a hint of sweetness from pineapple.
Smarts: If you don't have leftover coconut rice, any cooked rice will work in this recipe.
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Kale - 3 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 1 tsp (sub any color curry paste)
- Fish sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1/2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Pineapple chunks, frozen or canned - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Coconut rice, cooked (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds (opt) - 1 tsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 2 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Bell peppers / Kale / Garlic / Green onions - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together garlic, soy sauce, curry paste, fish sauce, vinegar and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead.)
- Limes - Slice limes into wedges. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Defrost and chop if using frozen. Drain and rinse if using canned.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then eggs. Scramble eggs until they are cooked to your liking. Set eggs aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then bell peppers and kale stems to heated oil. Saute until bell peppers are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add white parts of green onions (reserve green parts) and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add leftover rice, kale leaves and pineapple and stir to combine.
- Push all ingredients to the side, forming a donut in the middle of the wok. Pour in sauce and simmer until it thickens slightly.
- Add cashews and scrambled eggs and stir to coat everything in sauce.
- Divide fried rice between bowls and top with sesame seeds (if using), green parts of green onions and lime wedges.
- Top fried rice with sriracha at the table, if you’d like. Enjoy!
This meal has 38 reviews
Absolutely delicious. Did sauce and a half and added a ton more cashews!
Yum!! Like many people in the comments I kinda DIY'd my own toppings but the combo of coconut rice and pineapple with various veggies and stir fry sauce was delish!
This dish made my wife love me just a little bit more. Thank you.
Easy, quick, and yummy! Could add ground pork, turkey, chicken... But it was good without, too. I didn't scramble the eggs first, I added them later, as done in traditional fried rice recipes.
Totally love this one. I've made it several times and it's always great. I have an egg allergy so I've replaced the eggs with ground turkey, chicken, pork, and even shredded rotisserie chicken. Long grain brown rice works really well and helps make this a little healthier.
This was super quick using leftover rice. I left out the eggs and added chicken. I would have liked a bit more sauce but this was tasty overall.