Pineapple Fried Coconut Rice
with cashews / bell peppers / eggs
Smarts: If you don't have leftover coconut rice, any cooked rice will work in this recipe.
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Kale - 3 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 1 tsp (sub any color curry paste)
- Fish sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1/2 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Pineapple chunks, frozen or canned - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Coconut rice, cooked (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds (opt) - 1 tsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 2 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Bell peppers / Kale / Garlic / Green onions - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Whisk together garlic, soy sauce, curry paste, fish sauce, vinegar and toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead.)
- Limes - Slice limes into wedges. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Defrost and chop if using frozen. Drain and rinse if using canned.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then eggs. Scramble eggs until they are cooked to your liking. Set eggs aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then bell peppers and kale stems to heated oil. Saute until bell peppers are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add white parts of green onions (reserve green parts) and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Add leftover rice, kale leaves and pineapple and stir to combine.
- Push all ingredients to the side, forming a donut in the middle of the wok. Pour in sauce and simmer until it thickens slightly.
- Add cashews and scrambled eggs and stir to coat everything in sauce.
- Divide fried rice between bowls and top with sesame seeds (if using), green parts of green onions and lime wedges.
- Top fried rice with sriracha at the table, if you’d like. Enjoy!
Absolutely delicious. Did sauce and a half and added a ton more cashews!0 Helpful
Yum!! Like many people in the comments I kinda DIY'd my own toppings but the combo of coconut rice and pineapple with various veggies and stir fry sauce was delish!0 Helpful
This dish made my wife love me just a little bit more. Thank you.0 Helpful
Easy, quick, and yummy! Could add ground pork, turkey, chicken... But it was good without, too. I didn't scramble the eggs first, I added them later, as done in traditional fried rice recipes.0 Helpful
Totally love this one. I've made it several times and it's always great. I have an egg allergy so I've replaced the eggs with ground turkey, chicken, pork, and even shredded rotisserie chicken. Long grain brown rice works really well and helps make this a little healthier.0 Helpful
This was super quick using leftover rice. I left out the eggs and added chicken. I would have liked a bit more sauce but this was tasty overall.0 Helpful