Sweet Potato and Sausage Stew
with balsamic arugula salad
- Sweet potatoes - 2, chopped
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Kale - 3 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw (use mild or spicy) - 12 oz
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 4 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Arugula - 4 oz
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, kale stems and a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add potatoes and sausage and saute to break sausage apart and allow it to release oil, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Pour in tomato paste, stock and bay leaves. Simmer stew until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While stew simmers, whisk together balsamic vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and olive oil. Toss with arugula just before serving.
- When stew is done, remove from heat and stir in kale leaves and lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and more lemon juice, if needed.
- Ladle stew into bowls. Serve with salad on the side and enjoy!
Husband heard what was for dinner turn his nose up. Once he tasted it he said I can make it again 😂1 Helpful
Only used 1 cup of stock, added minced garlic, used spicy Italian chicken sausage0 Helpful
Good base, pretty easy to make. Would add more spices if we make again.0 Helpful
Super simple & tasty!0 Helpful
Maybe 4 stars with a spicier sausage. It faded as leftover rather than getting better, as most stews do.0 Helpful
Used 20 oz sweet sausage, 1/2 cup lentils and substituted spinach because that is what I had on had. Loved this! Husband had 3 bowls!0 Helpful
Thought it needed something at end so I added teaspoon salt and lots of parsley :) I thought it was great for time being short to make it and freezing well0 Helpful