Sweet Potato and Sausage Stew
with cheese toast points
Sweet, savory and spicy (if you use a spicy sausage), this great cool-weather stew comes together in a flash with minimal prep. The stew is filling on its own, but we can't resist dipping cheese toast wedges in the flavorful broth.
Sweet Potato and Sausage Stew:
- Sweet potatoes - 2 , chopped
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Kale - 3 leaves , leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw (use mild or spicy) - 12 oz
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
Cheese Toast Points:
- Bread, sandwich (a thick-sliced loaf will work well) - 4 slices
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, kale stems and a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add potatoes and sausage and saute to break sausage apart and allow it to release oil, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Pour in tomato paste, stock and bay leaves. Simmer stew until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While stew simmers, place toast on a sheet pan. Brush with olive oil and top with cheese slices. Bake in the oven until toast is golden around the edges and cheese is melted, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Slice cheese toast into quarters.
- When stew is done, remove from heat and stir in kale leaves and lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and more lemon juice, if needed.
- Ladle stew into bowls and top with yogurt. Serve with cheese toast on the side and enjoy!