Sweet Potato and Sausage Stewwith cheese toast points
- Sweet potatoes - 2, chopped
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Kale - 3 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and separated
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, Italian and raw (use mild or spicy) - 12 oz
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Bread, sandwich (a thick-sliced loaf will work well) - 4 slices
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, kale stems and a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add potatoes and sausage and saute to break sausage apart and allow it to release oil, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Pour in tomato paste, stock and bay leaves. Simmer stew until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While stew simmers, place toast on a sheet pan. Brush with olive oil and top with cheese slices. Bake in the oven until toast is golden around the edges and cheese is melted, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Slice cheese toast into quarters.
- When stew is done, remove from heat and stir in kale leaves and lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper and more lemon juice, if needed.
- Ladle stew into bowls and top with yogurt. Serve with cheese toast on the side and enjoy!
This meal has 44 reviews
Made vegetarian version but added one spicy sausage. Super delicious! Family is not crazy about lentils, but they didn't even know they were there! Lentils are a fantastic soup thickener and so healthy. No need to blend with a immersion blender! Will definitely make again.
One of my favorites!
kids loved the cheesy toast points. The stew was yummy too.
Husband heard what was for dinner turn his nose up. Once he tasted it he said I can make it again 😂
Very enjoyable. Added some farro for extra texture and flavor. Used mild sausage - next time will try something a bit spicier for extra flavor.
This was easy and delicious. Next time I'll use something other than swiss since husband doesn't like it.