Oven-Roasted Jerk-Marinated Cauliflower
with coconut rice and beans and a side salad
- Garlic - 1 clove , minced
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , sliced thinly
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Cauliflower - 1 head , chopped
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Limes - 1/2 , sliced into wedges
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Coconut milk - 1 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Rice, long-grain, uncooked (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Stock, any type - 2 1/2 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
Garlic (for rice and salad) / Bell peppers / Cauliflower - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Make roasting marinade - Mix together jerk or Cajun seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Toss cauliflower with roasting marinade and spread out onto a foil or parchment lined sheet pan. Roast for 18 to 22 minutes, shaking once midway through. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper fresh out of the oven.
Heat a Dutch oven or non-stick pot over medium-high heat for rice and beans. Pour in coconut milk, garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, stock and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all the liquid.
Remove and discard bay leaves. Reserve half the coconut rice for Thursday's dinner. Fold beans into remaining half.
Make vinaigrette by whisking together garlic, vinegar, Dijon, and cooking oil. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with greens and peppers when rice and roasted cauliflower are done.
Serve jerk-roasted cauliflower with lime wedges and enjoy with coconut rice and salad!