Jerk Chicken Thighs
with coconut rice and beans and a side salad
This Caribbean-inspired meal, first featured in March 2015, will get you feeling like you're in the tropics.
Smarts: We make this with jerk seasoning mix, but feel free to use Cajun if that's what you already have on hand.
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, sliced thinly
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Jerk or Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced, seeded if you want less heat
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 lb ((use chicken breasts for lower fat option))
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Beans, kidney (14oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Coconut milk - 1 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Rice, long-grain, uncooked (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Stock, any type - 2 1/2 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
Chicken - Mix together jerk seasoning, brown sugar, cinnamon, soy sauce, vinegar and cooking oil. Slice jalapenos and add to marinade. Toss marinade with chicken and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Garlic (for rice and salad) / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Heat a Dutch oven or non-stick pot over medium-high heat for rice and beans. Pour in coconut milk, garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and then add rice, stock and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all the liquid.
Remove and discard bay leaves. Reserve half the coconut rice for Thursday's dinner. Fold beans into remaining half.
While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush some oil over skillet and then add chicken. Sear for ~3 minutes, flip and lower heat to medium. Cover with a lid and cook for another 3 minutes or until chicken is done (165F or 74C).
Make vinaigrette by whisking together garlic, vinegar, Dijon, and cooking oil. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with greens and peppers when rice and chicken are done.
Serve chicken with lime wedges and enjoy with coconut rice and salad!
This was delicious! Beans and rice were great! Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
Make the vegetarian version, cooked cauliflower on the smoker. Subbed quinoa for rice. Loved it, so different than what I usually make and tasty.0 Helpful
I used Trader Joe's Chili Lime seasoning instead of cajun or jerk. Delicious!0 Helpful
Omg the rice is my favorite0 Helpful
Good and easy meal. 4-year-old liked the coconut rice and beans! It's spicy but not too spicy. It would be good to pair with the SALAD, which we'll do next time.0 Helpful
Chicken was good, rice meh0 Helpful