Open-Faced Turkey Melts
with creamy Dijon dressing / bacon roasted brussels sprouts
To give these classic turkey melts a little something extra, we've added a sweet and tangy dressing. Brussels sprouts (or sub broccoli if you prefer) served on the side are pan-seared and then roasted so they are golden brown on the outside but still have some crunch.
- Mayonnaise (sub plain Greek yogurt) - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1/2 tsp
- Bread, sandwich (a thick-sliced loaf will work well) - 4 slices
- Creamy Dijon Dressing (ingredients listed separately) - ~3 Tbsp
- Turkey, oven-roasted and sliced (from the deli counter) - 8 slices
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices
- Bacon - 4 slices, chopped
- Brussels sprouts - 12 oz, trimmed and halved ((sub broccoli florets))
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Bacon / Brussels sprouts - Prep as directed and store separately. (Note: If brussels sprouts are quite large, slice into quarters instead of halves.) (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, honey and vinegar. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 204C degrees. Place one rack in the lower half of oven and one rack in the upper half.
- Heat an oven safe skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook on both sides until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes total. Set bacon on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15mL (amount is for 4 servings, adjust if customizing) of grease from the pan and return pan to stove. Increase heat to medium-high and add brussels sprouts with some salt. Saute until brussels sprouts are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.
- Pour water over brussels sprouts and cover pan with foil. Transfer to lower rack of oven and bake until brussels sprouts are tender, 12 to 14 minutes.
- While brussels sprouts roast, line a sheet pan with foil. Place bread on pan and transfer to upper rack of oven. Bake, turning halfway through cooking until lightly toasted, ~3 minutes on each side.
- Remove toast from oven and top with dressing, turkey slices and cheese. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, ~5 minutes more.
- When brussels sprouts are finished cooking, finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and toss with bacon.
- Serve sandwiches with brussels sprouts on the side. Enjoy!
Brussels Sprouts were the Bomb!0 Helpful
To do it again, for kids, I would use broccoli instead of brussel sprouts.0 Helpful
Making again tonight!! D-licious!!!0 Helpful
These were easy and very tasty! Especially the brussels sprouts.0 Helpful
Had to make with chicken. Can't find any turkey a week after thanksgiving?0 Helpful
I wanted a way to use some leftover Thanksgiving turkey. This was good, but not a favorite.0 Helpful