Vegan Sausage and Onions Sub
with braised cabbage and apples
Sausage and cabbage is a classic German meal. We cook our sausage in just a little bit of broth for extra moisture, which especially helps with vegan sausages. Pair it with your favorite beer, and you've got the perfect Oktoberfest meal!
- Onions - 1, sliced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Cooked vegan sausage links - 4 links
- Broth, vegetable - 1/2 cup
- Sausage buns - 4
- Sausage condiments - for serving
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Cabbage, red - 16 oz, sliced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Apples, any type - 1, diced
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 6 Tbsp
- Cook cabbage by heating a saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter and then garlic, thyme, and apples to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes before adding cabbage with salt. Saute for another 14 to 16 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- While cabbage cooks, heat up a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil and then onions and soy sauce to heated oil. Saute for ~3 minutes.
- Add sausage to onions, searing on each side for ~2 minutes. Add broth and thyme leaves and cook until sausages are warmed through, another 4 to 6 minutes (sausages should be firm to touch).
- Toast buns while sausages are cooking.
- Finish cabbage with apple cider vinegar and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until vinegar’s all absorbed. Season with salt, pepper or if the cabbage is too tart, something sweet, like brown sugar or syrup.
- Enjoy sausage and onions with buns and favorite condiments. Serve with cabbage on the side.
Excellent. My husband loved it0 Helpful
The schnitzel was pretty easy and yummy but the cabbage was a big miss for us, even with way less vinegar than called for.0 Helpful
Season the meat, not just the breading. I like cabbage, but not saurkraut, so that was a miss.0 Helpful
I favorited this primarily for the CABBAGE -- we LOVED it. Tasty combo with the pork. Next time will not use the wok to cook the pork; needed lots of oil.0 Helpful
Quick and easy. Even had the kids asking for more!0 Helpful
Pork was great! Cabbage was hit or miss at our house.0 Helpful