Vegan Sausage and Onions Sub
with braised cabbage and apples
Sausage and cabbage is a classic German meal. We cook our sausage in just a little bit of broth for extra moisture, which especially helps with vegan sausages. Pair it with your favorite beer, and you've got the perfect Oktoberfest meal!
Pan-Seared Vegan Sausage and Onions Sub:
- Onions - 1 , sliced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Cooked vegan sausage links - 4 links
- Broth, vegetable - 1/2 cup
- Sausage buns - 4
- Sausage condiments - for serving
Braised Cabbage and Apples:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Cabbage, red - 16 oz , sliced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Apples, any type - 1 , diced
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 6 Tbsp
- Cook cabbage by heating a saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter and then garlic, thyme, and apples to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes before adding cabbage with salt. Saute for another 14 to 16 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- While cabbage cooks, heat up a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil and then onions and soy sauce to heated oil. Saute for ~3 minutes.
- Add sausage to onions, searing on each side for ~2 minutes. Add broth and thyme leaves and cook until sausages are warmed through, another 4 to 6 minutes (sausages should be firm to touch).
- Toast buns while sausages are cooking.
- Finish cabbage with apple cider vinegar and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until vinegar’s all absorbed. Season with salt, pepper or if the cabbage is too tart, something sweet, like brown sugar or syrup.
- Enjoy sausage and onions with buns and favorite condiments. Serve with cabbage on the side.