Pan-Seared Sausage and Onions
with braised cabbage and apples
Pan-Seared Sausages and Onions:
- Onions - 1 , sliced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Sausage, German-style bratwurst (sub sausage of choice) - 4 links
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup
Braised Cabbage and Apples:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Cabbage, red - 16 oz , sliced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Apples, any type - 1 , diced
- Grass-fed butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 6 Tbsp
- Cook cabbage by heating a saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter and then garlic, thyme, and apples to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes before adding cabbage with salt. Saute for another 14 to 16 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- While cabbage cooks, heat up a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil and then onions and aminos to heated oil. Saute for ~3 minutes.
- Add sausage to onions, searing on each side for ~2 minutes. Add stock and thyme leaves and cook until sausages are cooked through, another 6 to 8 minutes (sausages should be firm to touch).
- Finish cabbage with apple cider vinegar and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until vinegar’s all absorbed. Season with salt, pepper or if the cabbage is too tart, something sweet, like brown sugar or syrup.
- Enjoy sausage and onions with cabbage on the side.