Pan-Seared Sausage and Onions
with braised cabbage and apples
Sausage and cabbage is a classic German meal. We cook our sausage in just a little bit of stock for extra moisture. Pair it with your favorite beer, and you've got the perfect Oktoberfest meal!
- Onions - 1, sliced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 tsp
- Sausage, German-style bratwurst (sub sausage of choice) - 4 links
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Cabbage, red - 16 oz, sliced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Apples, any type - 1, diced
- Grass-fed butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 6 Tbsp
- Cook cabbage by heating a saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter and then garlic, thyme, and apples to melted butter. Saute for ~2 minutes before adding cabbage with salt. Saute for another 14 to 16 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- While cabbage cooks, heat up a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil and then onions and aminos to heated oil. Saute for ~3 minutes.
- Add sausage to onions, searing on each side for ~2 minutes. Add stock and thyme leaves and cook until sausages are cooked through, another 6 to 8 minutes (sausages should be firm to touch).
- Finish cabbage with apple cider vinegar and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until vinegar’s all absorbed. Season with salt, pepper or if the cabbage is too tart, something sweet, like brown sugar or syrup.
- Enjoy sausage and onions with cabbage on the side.
Excellent. My husband loved it0 Helpful
The schnitzel was pretty easy and yummy but the cabbage was a big miss for us, even with way less vinegar than called for.0 Helpful
Season the meat, not just the breading. I like cabbage, but not saurkraut, so that was a miss.0 Helpful
I favorited this primarily for the CABBAGE -- we LOVED it. Tasty combo with the pork. Next time will not use the wok to cook the pork; needed lots of oil.0 Helpful
Quick and easy. Even had the kids asking for more!0 Helpful
Pork was great! Cabbage was hit or miss at our house.0 Helpful