Beef Marinara with Sweet Potato Noodles
with mixed greens salad
Our paleo version of spaghetti will leave even carb lovers satisfied. Sweet potato noodles provide the perfect creamy and sweet accompaniment to a hearty beef tomato sauce. Enjoy with a mixed green salad on the side for a simple weeknight meal.
Beef Marinara with Sweet Potato Noodles:
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Bell pepper, green - 1 , diced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 1 tsp
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 lb , peeled and spiralized
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Basil, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
Mixed Greens Salad:
- Bell pepper, red - 1 , sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Ground beef - Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Bell peppers (for marinara and salad) / Thyme - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Turn sweet potatoes into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and green peppers to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in ground beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Brown for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and honey and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes, fresh thyme, basil, and oregano. Stir and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add sweet potato noodles in the last 5 to 6 minutes and simmer noodles directly in sauce until tender but still crunchy.
- While marinara cooks, make vinaigrette for salad by whisking together vinegar, mustard, syrup, and oil.
- Toss vinaigrette with red peppers and greens.
- Taste and season meat sauce with more salt, pepper, spices, or tomato paste. Divide noodles and sauce onto plates. Enjoy with salad on the side.