Spaghetti with Lentil Marinara
with mixed greens salad
We add lentils to this classic marinara sauce for some extra texture, flavor and protein. Enjoy it with a mixed green salad for a simple but tasty meal! If you've got time over the weekend, make the sauce ahead of time so it can develop even more flavor.
Spaghetti with Lentil Marinara:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Bell pepper, green - 1 , diced
- Thyme, fresh leaves - 1 tsp
- Lentils, cooked (canned or vacuum-packed) - 2 cups
- Gluten-free spaghetti - 10 to 12 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Basil, dried - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan - for serving
Mixed Greens Salad:
- Bell pepper, red - 1 , sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Garlic / Onions / Bell peppers (for marinara and salad) / Thyme - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Lentils - Rinse and drain, removing as much liquid as possible. Run a knife through lentils a few times to ‘ground’ them up.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and green peppers to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and ketchup and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Fold in lentils, thyme, crushed tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Stir and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While marinara cooks, make vinaigrette for salad by whisking together vinegar, mustard, syrup, and oil.
- Toss vinaigrette with red peppers and greens.
- Taste and season lentil-marinara sauce with more salt, pepper, spices, or tomato paste. Divide pasta onto plates and cover in sauce. Finish with parmesan. Enjoy with salad on the side.