Slow Cooker Chicken Pozole
with poblanos, tomatillos, avocado and radishes
Smarts: Slow cook this on Sunday night and wake up to this fragrant dish on Monday. Refrigerate and then reheat for dinner!
- Chicken breasts, boneless or bone-in and skinless - 1 lb
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Jalapenos - 2, seeded and diced
- Poblanos (sub 1 green pepper / 2 poblanos) - 2, diced
- Tomatillos (sub 1 underripe tomato / 2 tomatillos) - 3, diced
- Cilantro, fresh (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Coriander - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Chicken stock - 4 to 6 cups
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Hominy - 2 cups
- Avocado - 1, cubed
- Radishes (opt) - 3, sliced
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Sour cream - for serving
- Chicken - Season with garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Jalapenos / Poblanos / Tomatillos / Cilantro (if using) - Prep as directed - except for cilantro, they can all be placed into one bowl / container. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Aromatics - Toss garlic, onions, jalapenos, poblanos, and tomatillos with coriander, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Microwave for 1 ½ minutes.
- Start slow cooking - Place chicken, aromatics, chicken stock, and salt in a slow cooker. Cook for 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 to 3 ½ hours on high. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Once pozole is done slow cooking, shred chicken with a fork and knife directly in slow cooker. Add in hominy and heat on high for another 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more spices.
- Prep avocado, radishes (if using), and limes.
- Top soup with cilantro, avocados, radishes, and sour cream. Serve with lime wedges!
Delicious. A little spicy, but the sour cream offsets that well.0 Helpful
Roast Your Poblano Peppers! I watched a video teaching how to do this over the gas stove top flame. Worked great!0 Helpful
Loved it! Had to make some substitutions of spices, but it came out great.0 Helpful
Seemed dry (chicken) and didn't love the spice mixture. I'm not a huge fan of crockpot food anyway. Wouldn't make again.0 Helpful
I looove this recipe. I can never find tomatillos, so I sub tomatillo salsa. It adds a roundess of flavor that I really appreciate. I also stir in three tbs of corn meal to thicken the stew in the last 10 (or so) minutes.0 Helpful
Easy and tasty as leftovers for lunch the next few days, only used 4 C stock (one container) and added some Tajin spice when reheating.0 Helpful