Stromboli with Mozzarella and Salami
with lemon garlic broccoli
Stromboli is a stuffed and rolled pizza. We fill this one with mozzarella and salami, cut it into slices and serve with extra marinara sauce for dipping.
Smarts: Short on time? Skip the step to roll this into stromboli and cook it like you would a regular pizza.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed or minced
- Shallots (small) - 1 bulb, diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Sugar, brown - 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1/4 cup, grated
- Parsley (opt) - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Eggs - 1
- Marinara sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 3/4 cup + 3/4 cup
- Salami, thinly sliced Genoa or Calabrese (sub pepperoni) - 4 oz
- Cheese, shredded mozzarella (sub any pre-shredded blend) - 8 oz
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Broccoli - 3/4 lb, chopped
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Pizza dough - Take dough out 30 minutes before baking and cover in some flour. Resting dough will make it easier to work with.
- Garlic (for marinara and broccoli) / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinara - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before making marinara.) Heat cooking oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic (the portion for the marinara) and shallots to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes and then add crushed tomatoes with brown sugar, salt and black pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for ~4 minutes to let the flavors come together. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parmesan cheese (if using) / Broccoli / Parsley- Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper (check to be sure the brand you are using is approved at high cooking temps).
- Dust a counter with flour. Roll out pizza dough into an oval shape. Spread the first half of the marinara sauce in a thin layer (adding too much sauce will prevent the center of the stromboli from cooking all the way through) on the dough, leaving about a 1” (2.5cm) edge on all sides. Top with salami and then mozzarella. (Or watch video for assembly steps)
- Brush edges with whisked eggs. Starting with the edge closest to you, roll the dough into a log. Transfer stromboli to the sheet pan and cut slits in the top about 2” (5cm) apart. Brush with whisked eggs and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Bake for 24 to 26 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through (if your dough was thick, it may need a few more minutes to bake).
- While stromboli cooks, place garlic and broccoli into a microwave-safe container. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes, until tender. Squeeze lemon juice over top and season with some salt and pepper.
- If marinara was made ahead, reheat second half of the marinara briefly in the microwave.
- When stromboli is done cooking, cut into slices. Serve with marinara for dipping and broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
I made half without salami, and liked that part much better. It was really pretty!0 Helpful
This turned out beautiful! Skipped the broccoli as the strombili was more than enough. I couldn't find salami so I used turkey pepperoni. It was good but next time I'll do salami and throw in some baby spinach.0 Helpful
Next time - make extra marinade and save as vineagrette to put on top. Maple balsamic flavors don't come thru very strongly on cooked pork.0 Helpful
We added in fresh mozzarella in addition to some italian herbs. The stromboli was GORGEOUS with the egg bath. Next time I'll make it more of a calzone and add ricotta. Also, the marinara was quite good - I added some fresh tomatoes I had as well. We did not make the broccoli and instead had a salad on the side.0 Helpful
Fun to make with family. I think I need more flavorful pepperoni next time as it seemed kind of bland.0 Helpful
I thought it would be really difficult to roll the stromboli, but it was only moderately difficult. My roommate and I were very impressed with ourselves after finishing this one.0 Helpful