Cajun Chickenwith black bean quinoa / lemon yogurt
Cajun seasoning gives these chicken tenders big, bold flavor. Serve the chicken over a vegetable-loaded quinoa with creamy lemon yogurt.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/3 cup
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/3 cup
- Bell peppers - 1/2, chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Zucchini, medium - 1, chopped
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels - 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and then season with Cajun seasoning. (Note: if your Cajun seasoning mix does not contain salt, add some salt). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - Whisk together yogurt, honey, paprika and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Beans and corn - Combine beans and corn in a colander and run under warm water to rinse beans and defrost corn.
- Heat a large wok or nonstick pan with oil (the portion for the chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil (the portion for the quinoa) and then zucchini and vinegar. Saute zucchini until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and onions and continue to saute until onions are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Stir in black beans and corn. Add quinoa and continue cooking until quinoa is warm.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with quinoa on the side. Enjoy with sauce drizzled over both elements or on the side for dipping.
This meal has 36 reviews
Need to make a lot more sauce as it pulls together the chicken and quinoa! I failed to use chicken stock for quinoa but still good (but could have been better). Kids didn't like it very much - but did pick out corn. I think it was a texture issue.
Delicious flavor combination!
Added a bit of BBQ sauce to tofu and baked it in the oven rather than frying. The combination of veggies with creole seasoning and yogurt dressing was tasty, healthy, and fast
This was a surprisingly delicious meal! Reminded us a lot of a chipotle bowl without the cilantro. We didn't like the drizzle sauce. We will definitely make the rice again as a side with enchiladas.
Thought this was good, but quite a bit like burrito bowls which I prefer. Really liked the lemon yogurt sauce.
I made this tonight and we loved it! I used instructions for how to make cajun seasoning I found online, and used ancho instead of cayenne, so ours had a very mild but lovely heat. The chicken was moist and delicious and the yogurt sauce went well with everything. I doubled the amount of zucchini and corn and there was not a whole lot of quinoa, so my side was more like veggies coated in quinoa. I still liked it a lot. I'd make this again.