with squash saute / salsa / guacamole
Cajun seasoning gives these chicken tenders big, bold flavor. Serve them with a salsa and guacamole for dipping.
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1/2, chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lb, chopped
- Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought (choose your fave) - 1/2 cup
- Bell peppers - 1/2, chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Squash, summer (sub zucchini or use a combination) - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and then season with Cajun seasoning. (Note: if your Cajun seasoning mix does not contain salt, add some salt). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions / Shallots / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Store bell peppers and onions in one container. Combine shallots and jalapenos. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash Prep as directed and store. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Guacamole - Chop cilantro. Mash avocados and combine with shallots, jalapenos and cilantro. Season with lime juice and some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large wok or nonstick pan with oil (the portion for the chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil (the portion for the squash) and then squash and vinegar. Saute squash until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and onions and continue to saute until onions are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with guacamole and salsa. Enjoy with squash on the side.
Used Penzeys Northwoods Fire Seasoning on the chicken and grilled it on the George Forman. Also used Penzeys Arizona Dreaming in the quinoa. Very quick and delicious! Skipped the yogurt sauce.0 Helpful
Used rice instead of quinoa since we had it and sour cream instead of yogurt. Definitely a fave!0 Helpful
Added more spices (garlic powder, paprika, chili powder) and it was yummy!0 Helpful
another winner. Quick, tasty and comfort food to boot.0 Helpful
Delicious though the quinoa took about twenty minutes to cook, not 8-10.0 Helpful
LOVED the vegetable quinoa! Chicken was good but a bit boring. Next time I'll use sweet paprika instead of smoked paprika... The smokey flavor just didn't go with the rest of the meal.0 Helpful