with black bean quinoa / lemon yogurt
Cajun seasoning gives these chicken tenders big, bold flavor. Serve the chicken over a vegetable-loaded quinoa with creamy lemon yogurt.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/3 cup
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/3 cup
- Bell peppers - 1/2, chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Zucchini, medium - 1, chopped
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels - 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and then season with Cajun seasoning. (Note: if your Cajun seasoning mix does not contain salt, add some salt). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - Whisk together yogurt, honey, paprika and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Beans and corn - Combine beans and corn in a colander and run under warm water to rinse beans and defrost corn.
- Heat a large wok or nonstick pan with oil (the portion for the chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil (the portion for the quinoa) and then zucchini and vinegar. Saute zucchini until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and onions and continue to saute until onions are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Stir in black beans and corn. Add quinoa and continue cooking until quinoa is warm.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with quinoa on the side. Enjoy with sauce drizzled over both elements or on the side for dipping.
Used Penzeys Northwoods Fire Seasoning on the chicken and grilled it on the George Forman. Also used Penzeys Arizona Dreaming in the quinoa. Very quick and delicious! Skipped the yogurt sauce.0 Helpful
Used rice instead of quinoa since we had it and sour cream instead of yogurt. Definitely a fave!0 Helpful
Added more spices (garlic powder, paprika, chili powder) and it was yummy!0 Helpful
another winner. Quick, tasty and comfort food to boot.0 Helpful
Delicious though the quinoa took about twenty minutes to cook, not 8-10.0 Helpful
LOVED the vegetable quinoa! Chicken was good but a bit boring. Next time I'll use sweet paprika instead of smoked paprika... The smokey flavor just didn't go with the rest of the meal.0 Helpful