Cajun Chickenwith black bean quinoa / lemon yogurt
Cajun seasoning gives these chicken tenders big, bold flavor. Serve the chicken over a vegetable-loaded quinoa with creamy lemon yogurt.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/3 cup
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/3 cup
- Bell peppers - 1/2, chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Zucchini, medium - 1, chopped
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels - 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and then season with Cajun seasoning. (Note: if your Cajun seasoning mix does not contain salt, add some salt). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - Whisk together yogurt, honey, paprika and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Beans and corn - Combine beans and corn in a colander and run under warm water to rinse beans and defrost corn.
- Heat a large wok or nonstick pan with oil (the portion for the chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil (the portion for the quinoa) and then zucchini and vinegar. Saute zucchini until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and onions and continue to saute until onions are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Stir in black beans and corn. Add quinoa and continue cooking until quinoa is warm.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with quinoa on the side. Enjoy with sauce drizzled over both elements or on the side for dipping.
This meal has 36 reviews
We loved the cajun tofu! Great flavors, filling meal.
Made with rice as quinoa is a bit pricey. Very yummy.
Delicious, but not super filling.
Good and reasonably flavorful. Not a fan of the directions that say chopped for veg. Would prefer more specifics like diced or give an indication of size. Thanks!
So great! Packed with protein!
Super easy, especially since I made the quinoa and prepped the veggies over the weekend. Will keep the quinoa mixture in mind as a simple, delicious side dish on it's own. I thinned the yogurt sauce with some milk to make it drizzle better.