Cajun Chickenwith squash saute / salsa / guacamole
Cajun seasoning gives these chicken tenders big, bold flavor. Serve them with a salsa and guacamole for dipping.
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1/2, chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lb, chopped
- Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought (choose your fave) - 1/2 cup
- Bell peppers - 1/2, chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Squash, summer (sub zucchini or use a combination) - 1 lb, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and then season with Cajun seasoning. (Note: if your Cajun seasoning mix does not contain salt, add some salt). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions / Shallots / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Store bell peppers and onions in one container. Combine shallots and jalapenos. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash Prep as directed and store. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Guacamole - Chop cilantro. Mash avocados and combine with shallots, jalapenos and cilantro. Season with lime juice and some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large wok or nonstick pan with oil (the portion for the chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil (the portion for the squash) and then squash and vinegar. Saute squash until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and onions and continue to saute until onions are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with guacamole and salsa. Enjoy with squash on the side.
The yogurt sauce is key.0 Helpful
Added a bit of mayo and lemon juice to the guacamole, would have added bacon too but we didn't have any. Soooo good.0 Helpful
Mixed hot sauce in with Cajun seasoning very nice0 Helpful
Cajun too spicy for kids, no one ate the quinoa (even though they like quinoa), and the chicken was dry.0 Helpful
This was better than expected! The sauce was weird on its own, but went well with everything.0 Helpful
Combined chicken, yogurt sauce, and black bean and veggie quinoa in large skillet. We liked it and so did our guests.0 Helpful