Cajun Chickenwith black bean quinoa / lemon yogurt
Cajun seasoning gives these chicken tenders big, bold flavor. Serve the chicken over a vegetable-loaded quinoa with creamy lemon yogurt.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/3 cup
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Stock, chicken - 1 1/3 cup
- Bell peppers - 1/2, chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Zucchini, medium - 1, chopped
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels - 1/2 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and then season with Cajun seasoning. (Note: if your Cajun seasoning mix does not contain salt, add some salt). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - Whisk together yogurt, honey, paprika and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Beans and corn - Combine beans and corn in a colander and run under warm water to rinse beans and defrost corn.
- Heat a large wok or nonstick pan with oil (the portion for the chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil (the portion for the quinoa) and then zucchini and vinegar. Saute zucchini until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and onions and continue to saute until onions are tender, ~2 minutes more.
- Stir in black beans and corn. Add quinoa and continue cooking until quinoa is warm.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with quinoa on the side. Enjoy with sauce drizzled over both elements or on the side for dipping.
This meal has 36 reviews
The yogurt sauce is key.
Added a bit of mayo and lemon juice to the guacamole, would have added bacon too but we didn't have any. Soooo good.
Mixed hot sauce in with Cajun seasoning very nice
Cajun too spicy for kids, no one ate the quinoa (even though they like quinoa), and the chicken was dry.
This was better than expected! The sauce was weird on its own, but went well with everything.
Combined chicken, yogurt sauce, and black bean and veggie quinoa in large skillet. We liked it and so did our guests.