Bell Pepper, Sweet Potato and Onion Frittata
with side salad
Tender sweet potatoes and savory peppers and onions come together in this vegetarian frittata. Smarts: If making frittatas for more or less than 4 people, try baking them in muffin tins (recipe makes 2 muffin-size frittatas per person). Mini frittatas freeze well too!
Side Salad with Paprika-Spiced Vinaigrette:
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
Bell Pepper, Sweet Potato and Onion Frittata:
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 1 , peeled and cubed
- Bell peppers - 1/2 , chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Eggs - 6
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salsa, store-bought (choose your fave) - 1/4 cup
- Sweet potatoes / Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk paprika, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup and cooking oil (the portion for the vinaigrette) together. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes in half. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Place sweet potatoes into a microwave-safe pan or bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~ 3 minutes.
- Heat 9” to 10” (22.5 to 25cm) skillet over medium heat (skillet size is based on 4 servings - you may need a smaller or larger skillet if you're customizing). Add cooking oil (the portion for the frittata) and then onions and bell peppers to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and stir gently to combine. Season with chili powder, cumin and some salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- Just before serving, toss tomatoes and lettuce in paprika vinaigrette.
- Slice frittata into wedges and serve with salsa. Enjoy with salad on the side.