Italian Sausage and Chard Soup
with apple and spinach salad
Italian Sausage and Chard Soup:
- Parsley - 6 sprigs , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, small - 1 , diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
Apple and Spinach Salad:
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb , diced
- Apples, any variety - 1 , sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Add garlic, onions, chopped chard stems, and carrots to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil. Add in mushrooms and simmer uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make vinaigrette. Whisk shallots with balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste as needed with salt and pepper.
- Return to soup. Add in chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before spooning into individual bowls and top with parsley.
- Toss vinaigrette with sliced apples and baby spinach. Enjoy with hot soup!