Lentils and Brussels Sprouts Salad
with figs / Swiss cheese / warm apricot vinaigrette
This hearty salad is loaded with fall flavors from roasted brussels sprouts, fresh figs and a sweet-savory apricot vinaigrette. Swiss cheese goes well with these flavors, but feel free to substitute any other rich, savory cheese you have on hand (we like it with goat or blue cheese).
Lentils and Brussels Sprouts Salad:
- Brussels sprouts - 12 oz , halved
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 oz , cubed
- Figs - 6 , quartered
- Lentils, cooked (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 tsp
- Almonds, slivered - 1/4 cup
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Warm apricot vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately - ~1/4 cup
Warm Apricot Vinaigrette:
- Apricots, dried - 3 , finely chopped
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Stock, any variety - 1/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Apricots / Ginger / Brussels sprouts / Cheese - Prep as directed. Combine apricots and ginger. Store brussels sprouts and cheese separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Figs - Quarter figs.
- Lentils - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Toss brussels sprouts in cooking oil and balsamic vinegar (the portion for the salad). Season with some salt and pepper and spread on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and ‘steam’ in oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the foil and continue roasting until golden and tender, 10 to 12 minutes more. (For tips, check out this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- While brussels sprouts roast, make vinaigrette by combining apricots, ginger, balsamic vinegar (the portion for the vinaigrette), soy sauce, mustard, honey, stock and oil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl with a paper towel and microwave until the vinaigrette is hot ~60 seconds, stirring once in the middle of cooking. (Alternatively, you can heat the vinaigrette in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- When brussels sprouts are finished roasting, combine them with figs, lentils, cheese, almonds and greens. Toss with warm apricot vinaigrette or serve vinaigrette on the side to dress salads at the table. Enjoy!