with roasted vegetable couscous
Garlic, shrimp and white wine are three ingredients that practically beg to be served together. Roast vegetables at high heat and toss them with couscous for a quick, classic dinner.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Wine, white (sub stock) - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Stock, any variety - 3/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Couscous - 3/4 cup
- Onions, red - 1/2, diced
- Parsnips - 2, cubed
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 1, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse and pat dry.
- Cook couscous - (Skip if already made for Tuesday’s meal.) Combine stock, salt and butter in a saucepan. Cover and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and cover with lid. Let stand for ~5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Parsnips / Sweet potatoes - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Marinate shrimp - Combine shrimp with parsley, garlic, olive oil, paprika and some salt and pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Lemons - Slice lemons into wedges.
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Toss onions, parsnips and sweet potatoes in cooking oil. Season with cumin and some salt and pepper and spread on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and ‘steam’ in oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the foil and continue roasting until golden and tender, 10 to 12 minutes more. (For tips, check out this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- Heat a skillet with butter over medium heat. When butter melts, add tomato paste and wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add shrimp with marinade and saute in white wine until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- If couscous was made ahead, reheat briefly in the microwave.
- Toss couscous with roasted vegetables.
- Serve shrimp over couscous with a dollop of yogurt and lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Added 1/4 ts chili to the shrimp, and added 1/2 ts oregano with 1/4 ts cumin to yoghurt. Restaurant worthy!0 Helpful
I've only made shrimp a few times before and I was nervous. Felt like I didn't know what I was doing most of the way, but the shrimp came out great. I think it was good I accidentally bought huge shrimp, as they were more forgiving during cooking. This meal is fancy looking, tasty, and pretty easy to boot.0 Helpful
Couscous was very easy and delicious.0 Helpful
So so good! Everything worked together really well. Plus I love anything that has shrimp.0 Helpful
The flavor of the shrimp was good but the couscous soaked up all the sauce so the overall result was dry. Serving the shrimp with noodles would be better.0 Helpful
Loved the flavors in this recipe!0 Helpful