with apricots / green olives / almonds / couscous
Coating chicken in a tagine spice mix and then simmering it with vegetables, olives and sweet apricots gives it a tender texture and bright flavor. Couscous makes a great accompaniment to tagine because it soaks up all the flavorful cooking liquid.
Tagine Spice Mix:
- Paprika - 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4
- Tagine spice mix (ingredients listed separately) - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Apricots, dried - 8 , chopped
- Cauliflower, frozen or fresh - 2 cups , florets
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp , grated
- Lemons - 1/2 , wedges
- Parsley - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Green olives, pitted - 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Almonds, slivered - 1/4 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Couscous - 3/4 cup
- Cook couscous - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. Combine stock, salt (portion for the couscous) and butter in a saucepan. Cover and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and cover with lid. Let stand for ~5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make tagine spice mix - Combine paprika, coriander, turmeric, salt (the portion for the spice mix), black pepper, garlic powder, cinnamon and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and season with half the tagine spice mix (reserve the other half). Marinate chicken in spice mix for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Apricots / Cauliflower / Onions / Ginger - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lemons / Parsley - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or saucepan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides (don’t cook it all the way through), ~2 minutes per side. Set chicken aside. Pour excess grease out of pan, leaving ~1 Tbsp remaining.
- To heated pan add onions, ginger and parsley. Saute until onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and remaining half of spice mix and saute until well combined, ~1 minute.
- Pour stock over onions. Stir in cauliflower and apricots and bring to a low simmer (reduce the heat if necessary so that it is not boiling.)
- Add chicken back to the pan and cover. Simmer tagine, covered, until chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- If couscous was made ahead, reheat briefly in the microwave (remember to reserve half if doubled).
- When tagine is finished cooking, stir in olives and lemon zest. Taste and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve tagine over couscous with almonds and yogurt on top and lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!