Sweet Potato & Repurposed Salmon Patties
with quinoa and sauted snap peas
This is a great way to repurpose the remainder of the salmon we cooked on Monday. While unexpected, it turns out that sweet potatoes and salmon pair really well together in a patty. Salmon is light and tender and sweet potatoes provide a luscious finish. Paired with sauted snap peas, this is a lovely light summer dish.
Simple Sauteed Sugar Snap Peas:
- Sugar snap peas - 3/4 lb , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp
Sweet Potato & Salmon Patties:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb
- Leftover cooked salmon - 3/4 lb , broken up with a fork
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup ((sub Greek yogurt if you prefer))
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Greek yogurt (optional) - 1/2 cup , plain
Quinoa / Cauliflower "quinoa":
- Quinoa - 2 cups , uncooked
- Cook sweet potatoes - Halve, score, and place in a microwave-safe container. Add in 1 to 2 tbs. (15-30 ml) of water and then cover with lid or a wet paper towel. Microwave for 5 to 7 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Salmon / Parsley - Prep as directed.
- Scoop out sweet potatoes from skin and mix with salmon, lemon juice, panko, mayonnaise, parsley, and salt with hands. If the patties still feel too wet to work with, add more panko. Form into 4 to 6 1" (2.5 cm) patties. Place on a sheet pan, and cover and refrigerate if not making right away. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Sugar snap peas - Trim off ends (give your kids a pair of scissors and get them trimming!).
- Quinoa - (If you made this on Monday, you're done!) Otherwise, combine quinoa with 3 1/2 cups (833 ml) of water (or stock if your prefer). Add in a generous dash of salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then patties to heated oil. Sear for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until a nice golden crust forms. Lower heat to medium, and cover pan with a lid. Warm for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- While patties are cooking, heat a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp. (30 ml) of oil and then sugar snap peas to heated oil with some salt. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes, until softened but crunchy.
- Enjoy your patties with quinoa and crunchy snap peas! (You can top them with Greek yogurt too!)