Baked Sweet Potatoes with Mushrooms and Swiss Cheesewith apple spinach salad
Sweet and savory balance one another in these baked stuffed sweet potatoes with mushrooms and cheese. A fresh side salad of apples and spinach make this a meal full of color and flavor.
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 4
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 oz, cubed
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button (look for pre-chopped to save time) - 8 oz, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 2 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Apples, any variety - 1, chopped
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Almonds, slivered - 1/4 cup
- Make vinaigrette - Double if making Thursday's meal. Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and olive oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook sweet potatoes - Prick sweet potatoes with a knife. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. This will vary based on the size of potatoes; continue cooking until potatoes are soft enough to cut into with a fork. (Alternatively, you can bake the potatoes in a 425F / 218C oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Garlic / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store cheese in one container and garlic and parsley in another. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - If not pre-chopped, chop mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Apples - Chop apples. If not using right away, toss with a bit of lemon juice (not in ingredients list) to keep them from turning brown.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil.
- Heat an nonstick pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are golden brown and tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add sherry vinegar and some salt and saute for one minute more.
- Add garlic and parsley to mushrooms. Saute until garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Cut a slit in the top of the sweet potatoes and press both ends to create a pocket for filling. Fill with butter and then mushrooms and cheese.
- Bake sweet potatoes until cheese is melted and potatoes are heated through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, toss apples, spinach and almonds in balsamic vinaigrette (remember to reserve half if doubled).
- Serve sweet potatoes with yogurt for topping. Enjoy with salad on the side.
This meal has 37 reviews
Really good. I didn't have mushrooms so I sauteed onions and then wilted some spinach in the last few minutes of cooking the sausage. I didn't strictly keep it paleo and I added some gouda on top before I put them in the oven. Definitely will make again.
Salad dressing was great. We had trouble getting past the strange combo of mushrooms and sweet potatoes. Separately, they tasted great. Together was a bit off.
Really good one. Second time I made it, I changed the filling entirely based on what was in my fridge - garlic, zuchinni & chard. It was still fabulous. Really simple good meal.
I thought this was a pretty simple and delicious meal for a weeknight. Handy!
Needed more of the shrooms! Next time will double them. Delish.