Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
with frisee and pear salad
Who doesn't love a grilled cheese to end the week? This favorites version turns addictive spinach-artichoke dip into a creamy filling for grilled cheese sandwiches. A frisee and pear side salad balances the rich sandwiches with tart and sweet notes.
Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese:
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 8 oz , chopped
- Cheese, provolone - 6 oz , shredded or thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
Frisee Salad with Pears:
- Pears, any variety - 1 , sliced
- Frisee (sometimes called curly endive; sub any salad greens) - 4 bunches , chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium-high. Add oil and garlic and artichoke hearts to heated oil. Saute until garlic is fragrant, ~1 minute. Add spinach and a pinch of salt. Saute until spinach is wilted and most of the liquid has cooked off, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Stir in mayonnaise and cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Wipe out pan and return it to heat.
- Assemble grilled cheese sandwiches by buttering one side of each piece of bread. Place half the slices of bread buttered-side down in hot pan. Top with spinach-artichoke filling and then add remaining bread, buttered-side up. Cook until bottom of bread is golden brown, ~3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until filling is completely melted, ~3 minutes more.
- While sandwiches cook, whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar and oil. Toss with pears and frisee.
- Slice sandwiches and enjoy with salad on the side.