Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
with frisee and pear salad
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 8 oz, chopped
- Cheese, provolone - 6 oz, shredded or thinly sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Pears, any variety - 1, sliced
- Frisee (sometimes called curly endive; sub any salad greens) - 4 bunches, chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium-high. Add oil and garlic and artichoke hearts to heated oil. Saute until garlic is fragrant, ~1 minute. Add spinach and a pinch of salt. Saute until spinach is wilted and most of the liquid has cooked off, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Stir in mayonnaise and cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Wipe out pan and return it to heat.
- Assemble grilled cheese sandwiches by buttering one side of each piece of bread. Place half the slices of bread buttered-side down in hot pan. Top with spinach-artichoke filling and then add remaining bread, buttered-side up. Cook until bottom of bread is golden brown, ~3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until filling is completely melted, ~3 minutes more.
- While sandwiches cook, whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar and oil. Toss with pears and frisee.
- Slice sandwiches and enjoy with salad on the side.
Used half the cheese and it was plenty. Slightly decreased mayo and will decrease much more next time. I agree with another review it was too greasy. Experimented with different amount of fillings. Worked best and less greasy when I spread and flattened the filling on the bread. Otherwise it was too soggy and messy.0 Helpful
My wife posted on Facebook, “Best meal ever!”0 Helpful
I've been trying to find ways to add veggies to my diet. This was so delicious!0 Helpful
Use half Greek yogurt / half mayonnaise. Made with ciabatta bread, will use sliced sourdough next time.0 Helpful
Fantastic flavors. The vinaigrette for the pear-frisee salad is amazing.0 Helpful
Amazing flavors. I got over-ambitious and made bread from scratch, which didn't hold up very well for grilled cheese.0 Helpful