Southwestern Spiced Chickpea Burrito Bowls
pico de gallo
Members said these homemade burrito bowls were, "Better than Chipotle!" so we're bringing them back. A flavorful mix of chickpeas, black beans and corn is combined with classic taco ingredients and can be served with tortilla chips for scooping.
Pico de Gallo:
- Tomatoes, roma - 6 , chopped
- Shallots - 1/2 clove , chopped
- Jalapenos - 1 , chopped
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
Southwestern Spiced Chickpea Burrito Bowls:
- Rice, jasmine, brown or white, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika (any variety) - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head , thinly sliced
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 3 oz , grated
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup , defrosted
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Sour cream, for serving (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Tortilla chips, for serving (opt) - 2 cups
- Rice - (If not made from Tuesday) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Mix together coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Cheese / Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make pico de gallo - Combine tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos and cilantro together in a bowl. Squeeze in lime juice. Season with salt. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Defrost corn in the microwave.
- Drain and rinse beans (both varieties).
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Toss garbanzo beans in spice mix. Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then garbanzo beans to heated oil and saute until golden and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add black beans and corn and saute until hot. Season with some salt and pepper and squeeze lime over top.
- If rice was made in advance, reheat in the microwave just enough to take the chill off.
- Assemble burrito bowls by topping shredded lettuce with rice, bean and corn mixture, cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping. Alternatively, set all ingredients out so that everyone can put together their own bowl. Enjoy!