Southwestern Spiced Chickpea Burrito Bowls
pico de gallo
- Tomatoes, roma - 6, chopped
- Shallots - 1/2 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Rice, jasmine, brown or white, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika (any variety) - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head, thinly sliced
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 3 oz, grated
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Sour cream, for serving (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Tortilla chips, for serving (opt) - 2 cups
- Rice - (If not made from Tuesday) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Mix together coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Cheese / Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make pico de gallo - Combine tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos and cilantro together in a bowl. Squeeze in lime juice. Season with salt. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Defrost corn in the microwave.
- Drain and rinse beans (both varieties).
- Toss garbanzo beans in spice mix. Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then garbanzo beans to heated oil and saute until golden and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add black beans and corn and saute until hot. Season with some salt and pepper and squeeze lime over top.
- If rice was made in advance, reheat in the microwave just enough to take the chill off.
- Assemble burrito bowls by topping shredded lettuce with rice, bean and corn mixture, cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping. Alternatively, set all ingredients out so that everyone can put together their own bowl. Enjoy!
This dish was easy to adapt to gluten free. We used a package of microwave Jasmine rice. To cut down the calories I used 2% cheese, light sour cream, and skipped the tortilla chips. My husband and I split a mini cup of Classic guacamole. 4 servings = 5 WW points per serving0 Helpful
I'd skip the lettuce next time or serve salad on side.0 Helpful
The lime really complemented the spiced beans!0 Helpful
Sauteed shredded green cabbage with spice mix. Added beans and corn and salt. Served atop rice. Added corn to pico de gallo. Topped with avocado. Awesome dish!0 Helpful
Add garlic to chicken0 Helpful
Yum! Easy and a great way to entertain during NFL playoffs with a bunch of your son's college friends!0 Helpful