Chicken Burrito Bowlspico de gallo
- Tomatoes, roma - 6, chopped
- Shallots - 1/2 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Rice, jasmine, brown or white, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika (any variety) - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub thighs) - 1 lb, chopped
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head, thinly sliced
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 3 oz, grated
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Sour cream, for serving (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Tortilla chips, for serving (opt) - 2 cups
- Rice - (If not made from Tuesday) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Mix together coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Toss with spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Cheese / Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make pico de gallo - Combine tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos and cilantro together in a bowl. Squeeze in lime juice. Season with salt. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Defrost corn in the microwave.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Add beans and corn and saute until hot. Season with some salt and pepper and squeeze lime over top.
- If rice was made in advance, reheat in the microwave just enough to take the chill off.
- Assemble burrito bowls by topping shredded lettuce with rice, chicken mixture, cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping. Alternatively, set all ingredients out so that everyone can put together their own bowl. Enjoy!
This meal has 42 reviews
I'd skip the lettuce next time or serve salad on side.
The lime really complemented the spiced beans!
Sauteed shredded green cabbage with spice mix. Added beans and corn and salt. Served atop rice. Added corn to pico de gallo. Topped with avocado. Awesome dish!
Add garlic to chicken
Yum! Easy and a great way to entertain during NFL playoffs with a bunch of your son's college friends!
I've made this twice already! It was a great dish for company because you can set it up salad-var style!