Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
with paprika corn salsa
People rave about these tacos! They're nothing like your ground beef variety. They're their own special thing. Sweet potatoes and black beans make a perfect hearty vegetarian filling and when sauted with spices, they are such a flavorful treat. And the corn salsa? You'll want to eat it by the bucketfuls!
Paprika Corn Salsa:
- Corn - 4 cobs , kernels shaved off
- Red onion - 1/2 , diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , minced
- Lime juice - 2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce - for serving
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Red onion - 1 , diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , cubed
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , risned and drained
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper - a pinch
- Tortillas - 8
- Hot sauce - as desired
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Limes - 1 , sliced into wedges
- Mix corn, 1/3rd of red onion, and cilantro together with lime juice, oil, and paprika. Season to taste with salt, more paprika, and hot sauce. Set aside and give flavors time to meld.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then garlic, rest of red onion, and a dash of salt to heated oil. Sauté until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add sweet potatoes to the pan with a generous pinch of salt and spices (paprika, cumin, cayenne). Add 2 tbs. (30 ml) of water to the pan, cover with a lid, and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for ~5 to 8 minutes, until sweet potatoes are softened.
- Add beans to the pan and toss everything together until beans are heated through. Season to taste with more salt or spices.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions and fill with spoonfuls of your filling, sliced avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy with a spoonful of your corn salsa.