Crispy Chicken Thighs with Rice
and ginger roasted sweet potatoes
Sear chicken thighs in a hot skillet and then finish them in the oven so they are crisp outside and juicy inside. Ginger roasted sweet potatoes and apples add a touch of spicy-sweet flavor on the side.
- Rice, white or brown - 1 cup
- Flour - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Chicken thighs, bone-in & skin on - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Wine, white (sub stock) - 1/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, cubed
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Apples, preferably a tart variety like Granny Smith - 1, cubed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 tsp
- Rice - (Skip if rice was already made on Tuesday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make breading - Combine flour, salt, paprika and black pepper in a large Ziploc bag. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Onions / Ginger / Shallots - Prep as directed. Combine sweet potatoes, onions and ginger in one container. Store shallots in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Pat chicken dry and season with some salt and pepper.
- Apples - Cube apples (you can peel them first if you’d like, but it's not necessary).
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Combine sweet potatoes, onions, apples, ginger, olive oil and sherry vinegar. Spread on a sheet pan and season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer sheet pan to oven and roast until sweet potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring a couple times during cooking.
- While potatoes roast, toss chicken in Ziploc bag to coat in flour.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil. Shake excess flour off chicken and place, skin-side down in heated oil. Sear chicken until skin is crisp and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Set chicken aside (it shouldn’t be finished cooking - you just want the skin to crisp) and drain excess fat from the pan. Return pan to heat.
- Add shallots to heated pan and saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour wine over shallots and bring to a simmer. Add stock and lemon zest with a pinch of salt and simmer until sauce reduces by about half.
- Place chicken thighs in pan sauce, skin-side up and spoon some of the shallots over top. Transfer skillet to oven.
- Cook 8 to 14 minutes (this will vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces), until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F / 74C.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken thighs over rice with pan sauce spooned over top. Enjoy sweet potatoes on the side.
Amazing, did everything as described and came out perfect0 Helpful
I don't prefer thighs or skin, so this dish did not come out crispy.0 Helpful
Loved the chicken, but the sweet potatoes were just ok!0 Helpful
Yum! Next time we'll skip the rice and just do extra veggies. The meal really didn't need the rice.0 Helpful
Loved the ginger sweet potatoes. The chicken was crispy and delicious0 Helpful
Timing was off. Chicken was good, but I enjoyed the veggies and rice together.0 Helpful