Slow-Cooker Japanese Beef Curry
with cauliflower rice
The slow-cooker yields tender meat and vegetables and great aromas to fill your kitchen in this mild, comforting Japanese-style curry.
Japanese Beef Curry:
- Cauliflower, medium - 1 head , florets
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Carrots - 2 , chopped
- Turnips - 1 , cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Chives - 2 tsp , chopped
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Beef, boneless chuck, shoulder or round roast - 1 lb , cubed
- Sweet potatoes - 1 , cubed
- Stock, low-sodium beef - 3 cups
- Curry powder - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Garam masala - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots / Turnips / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Chives / Limes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beef - Chop beef into bite-sized pieces. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Potatoes - Prep as directed.
- Slow-cook curry - Combine beef, onions, carrots, turnips, garlic, ginger and sweet potatoes in the bowl of a slow-cooker. In a mixing bowl, combine stock, curry powder, tomato paste, aminos, honey, garam masala, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes and pour over the meat and vegetables. Cook curry on low 7 to 8 hours (3 to 4 hours on high). (Note: If you prefer not to use the slow-cooker, you can also brown the beef with some oil in a Dutch oven. Set beef aside and add vegetables to pan. Saute until vegetables begin to soften. Add beef and remaining ingredients - stock to red pepper flakes - to pot. Simmer until vegetables are tender and beef is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- When curry is nearly finished cooking, heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Taste curry and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Divide cauliflower rice between serving bowls and top with curry. Top bowls with chives and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!