Slow-Cooker Japanese Beef Curry
The slow-cooker yields tender meat and vegetables and great aromas to fill your kitchen in this mild, comforting Japanese-style curry.
Japanese Beef Curry:
- Rice, white or brown - 1 cup
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Carrots - 2 , chopped
- Turnips - 1 , cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Chives - 2 tsp , chopped
- Limes - 1/2 , wedges
- Beef, boneless chuck, shoulder or round roast - 1 lb , cubed
- Potatoes, russet - 1 , cubed
- Stock, low-sodium beef - 3 cups
- Sugar, brown - 1 Tbsp
- Curry powder - 1 Tbsp
- Ketchup - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Garam masala - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Rice - Double if making Thursday's meal. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots / Turnips / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Chives / Limes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beef - Chop beef into bite-sized pieces. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Potatoes - Prep as directed.
- Slow-cook curry - Combine beef, onions, carrots, turnips, garlic, ginger and potatoes in the bowl of a slow-cooker. In a mixing bowl, combine stock, sugar, curry powder, ketchup, soy sauce, garam masala, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes and pour over the meat and vegetables. Cook curry on low 7 to 8 hours (3 to 4 hours on high). (Note: If you prefer not to use the slow-cooker, you can also brown the beef with some oil in a Dutch oven. Set beef aside and add vegetables to pan. Saute until vegetables begin to soften. Add beef and remaining ingredients - stock to red pepper flakes - to pot. Simmer until vegetables are tender and beef is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- When curry is nearly finished cooking, whisk cornstarch with water and add to curry. Stir to combine and cover slow-cooker. Turn slow-cooker to high and continue cooking for 10 minutes to let sauce thicken.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (remember to reserve half if doubled).
- Taste curry and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Divide rice between serving bowls and top with curry. Top bowls with chives and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!