Baked Eggs in Avocado
and butterhead salad with pears / pecans
Baked Eggs in Avocado:
- Avocados - 4 , halved
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Eggs - 8
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
Butterhead Lettuce Salad:
- Pecan halves - 1/3 cup
- Chives - 1 tsp , chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pears - 1 , sliced
- Lettuce, butterhead (sub green leaf) - 1 head , leaves torn
- Toast pecans - Toast pecan halves in a dry pan or skillet, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop chives. Whisk chives with mustard, honey and lemon juice. Slowly add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pears / Lettuce - Prep as directed and combine.
- Avocados - Slice avocados in half and remove seeds. Place avocados, cut-side up in ramekins or in a small baking dish, leaned up against the sides so that they don't tip over. Squeeze lime juice over the cut-side of the avocados (to prevent browning) and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- While oven heats, assemble avocado cups. Working with one egg at a time, crack egg into a small cup. Use a spoon to transfer egg yolk to an avocado half, placing the yolk where the seed was. Pour egg white over yolk just to fill the avocado (you may not be able to fit all of the egg white). Continue until all the avocado halves are filled. Season the top of the eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Bake avocados until the egg whites are set and yolks are still soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Just before serving, toss pears, lettuce and pecans with half the vinaigrette. Add remaining vinaigrette until salad is dressed to your liking.
- Serve avocados with hot sauce on top. Enjoy with salad on the side.