Avocado Toast with Fried Eggs
and butterhead salad with pears / pecans / blue cheese
Creamy avocados and toasted bread have become a ubiquitous pairing that is great at breakfast, lunch or dinner. The possibility for additional toppings are limitless (really!), but we're keeping this one simple with a fried egg for a protein-rich vegetarian dinner.
Avocado Toast with Fried Eggs:
- Avocados - 2 , mashed
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Bread, sandwich - 4 slices
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1 tsp
Butterhead Lettuce Salad:
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup
- Chives - 1 tsp , chopped
- Mayonnaise - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pears - 1 , sliced
- Lettuce, butterhead (sub green leaf) - 1 head , leaves torn
- Cheese, blue (sub gruyere or feta) - 2 oz , crumbled
- Toast pecans - Toast pecan halves in a dry pan or skillet, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 3 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop chives. Whisk chives with mayonnaise, mustard, honey and lemon juice. Slowly add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pears / Lettuce - Prep as directed and combine.
- Mash avocados with lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat cooking oil in a nonstick pan. Crack eggs into oil and fry to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Toast bread.
- Spread mashed avocado on sliced bread and top with fried eggs. Season eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Toss pears, lettuce, pecans and crumbled blue cheese with half the vinaigrette. Add remaining vinaigrette until salad is dressed to your liking.
- Serve avocado toast with hot sauce on top. Enjoy with salad on the side.