Chicken with Basil and Marinara
and lemon garlic broccoli
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed or minced
- Shallots (small) - 1 bulb, diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Sugar, brown - 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Basil leaves - 1/2 cup, chiffonade
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Marinara (ingredients listed separately) - ~4 cups
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Broccoli, florets - 8 oz, chopped
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Garlic (for both the marinara and broccoli) / Shallots - Prep as directed and combine garlic and shallots for the marinara. Store garlic for the broccoli in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli - Chop broccoli into florets. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve chicken breasts. Sprinkle Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper on both sides and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Basil - Chiffonade (thinly slice) basil.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic (the portions for the marinara) and shallots to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes and then add crushed tomatoes with salt and black pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for ~4 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While sauce simmers, heat a large saute pan with cooking oil (the portion for the chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and cover to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add broccoli, garlic (portion for the broccoli) and water. Cover tightly with a lid or foil. Steam broccoli until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. (Alternatively, steam broccoli and garlic in microwave-safe pan covered with a damp paper towel, 2 ½ to 3 minutes on high.)
- Season broccoli with lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Toss with cashews.
- Spoon marinara over chicken and top with basil. Enjoy with broccoli on the side!
Like suggested by the reviewers, I added 1/2lb of Italian sausage and extra Italian seasoning. It turned out great! I absolutely love it. I only added 1/4 of the ricotta recommended in the recipe because I don't like too much ricotta, however I think I could have added more. One of my new faves from CS. Won't fit in anything smaller than an 8" circular or square pan.0 Helpful
Added provolone, sour cream and italian sausage, it is a great comfort food :).0 Helpful
Would use less cheese overall next time0 Helpful
Good! 4-year-old liked it. Need to remember to cook pasta FIRST next time. Nice vegetarian option but not super healthy.0 Helpful
Obviously this was fantastic. Baked cheesy pasta? Sign me up!0 Helpful
This was really good. I didn't miss the meat. My husband made it with crushed tomatoes that had the Italian seasoning already in it. My son came home from college for the weekend and asked me to make a tray to take back to school with him. He loved it.0 Helpful