with quinoa and caprese
I'm trying to enjoy as much salmon as possible before the season is over (yes, there is salmon season!). Just a splash of balsamic vinegar is enough acid to enhance the natural taste of salmon. I have you all make extra because we'll be using the leftovers for Wednesday's dinner! As for the caprese, it's insanely easily and insanely good. 'Nuff said.
- Salmon - 2 lbs
- Balsamic vinegar - 3 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme - 1/2 tsp , dried
- Olive oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice & wedges
- Fresh mozzarella - 8 oz , thinly sliced
- Tomatoes - 1 lb , thinly sliced ((heirloom if you can find them))
- Basil - 1 sprig , torn up
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp , finest you own
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
Quinoa / Cauliflower "quinoa":
- Quinoa - 2 cups , uncooked
- Salmon - Rinse and dry fish and divide into 6 portions. Combine balsamic, sweetener, thyme, and oil with some salt and pepper in a baking dish that can fit salmon. Place salmon non-skin side down in dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes and ideally overnight.
- Quinoa - (If making Wednesday's night dinner, double the portions) Combine quinoa with 3 1/2 cups (823 ml) of water (or stock if your prefer). Add in a generous dash of salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.
- For caprese: Mozzarella / Tomatoes - Slice into 1/4" (0.6 cm) thick pieces.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Oven directions: Adjust oven rack so that it's about 6" (15 cm) under broiler. Turn broiler on. Place salmon on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with some more of marinade, season with salt and pepper, and broil for 6 to 8 minutes / half inch.
- Stovetop directions: Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with oil and then grill salmon presentation-side down. Sear for for 3 to 5 minutes, rotating once to get more grill marks. Flip, turn heat down to medium, and cover grill pan with a lid or foil. Grill for another 3 to 4 minutes / half inch.
- While salmon is cooking, lay out tomatoes and mozzarella. Top with torn up basil leaves. Drizzle with balsamic and oil. Season with salt.
- Save two portions of fish for Wednesday's dinner. Enjoy the rest with fresh lemon wedges and quinoa and caprese on the side.