with quinoa and caprese
- Salmon - 2 lbs
- Balsamic vinegar - 3 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme - 1/2 tsp, dried
- Olive oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2, juice & wedges
- Fresh mozzarella - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes - 1 lb, thinly sliced ((heirloom if you can find them))
- Basil - 1 sprig, torn up
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp, finest you own
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Quinoa - 2 cups, uncooked
- Salmon - Rinse and dry fish and divide into 6 portions. Combine balsamic, sweetener, thyme, and oil with some salt and pepper in a baking dish that can fit salmon. Place salmon non-skin side down in dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes and ideally overnight.
- Quinoa - (If making Wednesday's night dinner, double the portions) Combine quinoa with 3 1/2 cups (823 ml) of water (or stock if your prefer). Add in a generous dash of salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.
- For caprese: Mozzarella / Tomatoes - Slice into 1/4" (0.6 cm) thick pieces.
- Oven directions: Adjust oven rack so that it's about 6" (15 cm) under broiler. Turn broiler on. Place salmon on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with some more of marinade, season with salt and pepper, and broil for 6 to 8 minutes / half inch.
- Stovetop directions: Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with oil and then grill salmon presentation-side down. Sear for for 3 to 5 minutes, rotating once to get more grill marks. Flip, turn heat down to medium, and cover grill pan with a lid or foil. Grill for another 3 to 4 minutes / half inch.
- While salmon is cooking, lay out tomatoes and mozzarella. Top with torn up basil leaves. Drizzle with balsamic and oil. Season with salt.
- Save two portions of fish for Wednesday's dinner. Enjoy the rest with fresh lemon wedges and quinoa and caprese on the side.
Was good. I don't care for quinoa so I bought some lovely artesian bread to go with the caprese and fish. Good meal.0 Helpful
We had our broiler set to the low setting, so the salmon didn't cook in the time specified, we should've used the high setting, but the flavor of the salmon was really nice!0 Helpful
This may sound strange, but I really liked how uncomplicated each part of rhe meal tasted. The light squeeze of lemon was delicious on the salmon.0 Helpful