Grilled Flank Steak
with lemon herb butter / avocado and tomato salad
- Cilantro - 2 tsp, chopped
- Parsley - 2 tsp, chopped
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Steak, flank, sirloin or hanger - 1 1/2 lbs
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, sliced
- Mixed greens (sub any type of lettuce) - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Make compound butter - Chop cilantro and parsley. Zest lemons. Soften butter in microwave for ~10 seconds. Mash in herbs and lemon zest. If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt. If you like spice, add in a few drops of your favorite hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Season generously with salt and pepper. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead) Take steak out of fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Avocados / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- If making steak on grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Season steak on both sides with some salt and pepper. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Season steak on both sides with some salt and pepper. Place steak onto hot pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare; another 4 to 7 minutes for medium; 8 to 10 minutes for well-done.
- Let steak rest, covered, while preparing salad.
- While steak rests, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon juice and honey. Toss with mixed greens, avocados, tomatoes and almonds. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Slice steak and top each portion with compound butter. Serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Good summer dinner. Added crispy bacon.0 Helpful
Recipe calls for too much potato and not enough liquid. I should have realized when making, but was too late and had already put all potatoes called for in the recipe. Would use half potatoes and maybe try double the liquid. It was way too chunky and termed out very thick and pasty and not a very appealing texture0 Helpful
The corn chowder has an unpleasant texture for us. Almost like creamed corn. But flavor and salad were good.0 Helpful
It was okay. Good flavor. Next time will blend in a firm tofu to get a creamier/fluffier texture and more protein0 Helpful
Ok, I'm not a fan of flank steak.0 Helpful
My daughter gave it the thumbs up. Enough said.0 Helpful