Adobo Spice Chicken Kebabs
with honey harissa sauce / corn and chickpea saute
Fire up the grill (or stove) for these spice-rubbed chicken kebabs with a sweet and spicy sauce. Full of color and fresh produce, the corn and chickpea saute is great served warm or chilled as leftovers.
Smarts: Soaking bamboo skewers in water helps prevent them from burning on the hot grill.
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Ancho chili powder (sub regular chili powder) - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Dried mustard (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Skewers, metal or bamboo - 8
- Sour cream (sub plain or Greek yogurt) - 4 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Harissa paste (sub hot sauce of choice) - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Adobo spice mix (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, finely diced
- Corn - 2 ears, kernels sliced off
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, diced
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 tsp
- Soak skewers - If cooking on an outdoor grill with bamboo skewers, soak skewers in water for 30 minutes before cooking. This will help prevent the skewers from burning; skip if cooking on stovetop.
- Make adobo spice mix - Combine oregano, cumin, ancho chili powder, salt, garlic powder, dried mustard and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make honey harissa sauce - Whisk together sour cream, honey, lemon juice and harissa. Taste and add additional harissa if you’d like it more spicy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Corn / Parsley - Prep as directed and store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Dice tomatoes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into 1” / 2.5cm cubes. Toss chicken in adobo spice mix. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prepare kebabs - Thread skewers through chicken. (Note: If you're short on time, you can skip the skewers and just saute the chicken in a skillet in Make Step 1 if you’d prefer.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush pan with oil (the portion for the kebabs). Place kebabs on heated pan and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, pressing down firmly with a spatula. Flip and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until chicken is done (165F / 74C). Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- If making kebabs on a grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Brush grates with oil (the portion for the kebabs). Place kebabs on heated grates and grill for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and grill for another 2 to 3 minutes. Close grill and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes, until chicken is done (165F / 74C). Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (the portion for the saute) and then bell peppers to heated oil. Saute until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Add beans and corn to peppers and saute until heated through, ~2 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in tomatoes, parsley and vinegar. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken kebabs over chickpea saute. Enjoy sauce on the side for dipping or drizzle over kebabs.
Really good! Lots of flavor. Next time I’ll make less of the sauce but other than that this was a winner.0 Helpful
The flavor was nice, but cooking the skewers on a grill pan took forever and still left the chicken raw. I ended up throwing the pan in the oven for a while just to finish off the cook. Next time would definitely use the grill or just avoid the skewers altogether.0 Helpful
We also did just breasts instead of kebabs. The flavor combinations were great!0 Helpful
Doubled the sauce (as usual) and just cut the chicken into tender sized strips and grilled (less work). My husband and 3 year old loved it!0 Helpful
My husband loved these. Too spicy for me... I halved the chili powder but that was not enouh.0 Helpful
Loved the flavor combo. Would be an easy and fun meal for guests!0 Helpful