with warm mustard potatoes and green beans / soft boiled eggs / olive herb vinaigrette
These warm, hearty dinner salads are loaded with protein-rich farro, eggs and white beans. Add roasted potatoes and green beans and finish with a tangy herb vinaigrette. Toss all the ingredients together or serve them separately and assemble salads at the table.
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, leaves torn
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Olives, any mix of pitted black and green - 1/4 cup
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Farro, semi-pearled / husked (uncooked) - 2/3 cup
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Eggs - 4
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz, crumbled
- Potatoes, baby or new - 1 lb
- Green beans - 12 oz, 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon (use whole grain mustard if you have it) - 3 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Boil potatoes - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cool water. If potatoes are too large to eat in one bite, slice in half or quarters. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook farro - Double if making Thursday's meal. Combine farro, water, and some salt in a saucepan (use a 4:1 water to farro ratio, as in 4 cups of water / 1 cup of uncooked farro). Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes, until farro is al dente (i.e., tender but still chewy). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Tear parsley leaves, discarding stems. Peel garlic. Combine parsley, garlic, lemon juice, olives and olive oil (the portion for vinaigrette) in a food processor (alternatively, you can finely chop all ingredients by hand and then mix with olive oil). Process until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Chop green beans into 1” / 2.5cm pieces. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven heats, whisk together cooking oil, mustard, honey and oregano. Toss with green beans and cooked potatoes (remember to reserve half the potatoes if doubled). Season with some salt and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan and transfer to the oven. Bake until green beans are tender and potatoes are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- While vegetables cook, bring a small saucepan of water to a low boil. Add eggs to boiling water and boil for exactly 7 minutes (this will yield cooked whites and runny yolks, so boil a minute less or more if you like your eggs cooked differently). Transfer eggs to a colander and run under cool tap water. Set aside until cool enough to peel.
- If farro was made ahead, reheat briefly in the microwave just to take the chill off (remember to reserve half if doubled).
- Peel eggs and slice in half.
- Assemble salads by topping greens with beans, potatoes, green beans, farro and eggs. Crumble cheese over top and dress with vinaigrette at the table. Enjoy!
This came together simply. The longest part was boiling the potatoes. I skipped the olives but made the sauce for the fish with just parsley and garlic, and it still turned out pretty good.0 Helpful
It was very yummy, but was step heavy - two different sauces and a few other things that made prep and execution a little longer than usual. We had a bit of substitutions due to using up what was in our fridge.0 Helpful
Note to self: lemon zest is easier to obtain BEFORE the lemon is sliced.0 Helpful
I precooked the beans before combining with potatoes and dressing. Didn't buy parsley but the olives sauce was tasty without it.0 Helpful
Loved this! Will blanche green beans next time for a minute or two since they were way crunchy.0 Helpful
We used rockfish instead (it was on sale at the market). Simple and delicious meal. The olive gremolata made the dish outstanding! Husband asked if I can make more olive gremolata for him so he can eat it with some crackers. :-) Oh and we cooked the potatoes and green beans for exactly 12 minutes in the oven. The green beans were perfectly cooked and crunchy.0 Helpful