with zucchini / artichoke hearts / red onion / feta / olives
- Squash, yellow (sub zucchini or use a combination) - 2 , cubed
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 1 cup , chopped
- Olives, pitted Kalamata (sub any type olive) - 1/4 cup , sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , diced
- Bread, sandwich - 4 slices , cubed
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz , crumbled
Italian Herb Vinaigrette:
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/4 tsp
- Make Italian herb vinaigrette - Whisk together olive oil (the portion for the vinaigrette), red wine vinegar, mustard, honey and Italian seasoning. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash / Onions / Artichoke hearts / Olives - Prep as directed. Store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Dice tomatoes. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Bread - Cube bread. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Add first part of olive oil (the portion for the panzanella) and then bread cubes to heated oil. Toast in oil until crisp and golden brown on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Set bread cubes aside and return pan to heat. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add second part of olive oil (for the panzanella) and then zucchini to heated oil. Saute until starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add onions to zucchini and continue to saute until onions begin to soften, ~2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble salads by tossing together zucchini and onions, beans, artichoke hearts, olives and tomatoes. Crumble feta on top. Just before serving (you want the bread to stay crisp), add bread cubes and toss.
- Drizzle salads with vinaigrette at the table (only dress these to your liking - if your tomatoes are extra juicy, you may not need much vinaigrette, so save it for another use). Enjoy!