Chopped Italian "Sub" Salads
with mixed deli meats / artichoke hearts / red onion / olives
Inspired by classic Italian deli sub sandwiches, this paleo-friendly salad is loaded up with all the classic fillings and is topped with a simple Italian herb vinaigrette.
Chopped Italian "Sub" Salads:
- Squash, yellow (sub zucchini or use a combination) - 2 , cubed
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Deli meat, thinly sliced (capicola, salami, mortadella and boiled ham are a classic combination) - 1 lb , chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 1 cup , chopped
- Olives, pitted Kalamata (sub any type olive) - 1/4 cup , sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , diced
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Deli-sliced pickled peppers (sold in jars in sweet or spicy varieties; opt) - 1/4 cup
Italian Herb Vinaigrette:
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/4 tsp
- Make Italian herb vinaigrette - Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, honey and Italian seasoning. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash / Onions / Deli meat / Artichoke hearts / Olives - Prep as directed. Store zucchini and onions in their own containers. You can store the other ingredients together for a tossed salad or store the ingredients separately if you'd like a more "composed' salad. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then zucchini to heated oil. Saute until starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. .
- Add onions to zucchini and continue to saute until onions begin to soften, ~2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble salads by topping lettuce with zucchini and onions, deli meat, artichoke hearts, olives, deli-sliced peppers and tomatoes. (Toss the salads or serve the ingredients in rows on top of lettuce for a composed salad.)
- Have everyone dress their salads at the table. Enjoy!