Turkey and Sweet Potato Taco Salad
with avocado 'cream'
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Onion powder - 1/2 tsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Onions, red - 1/2, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, peeled and shredded
- Romaine lettuce hearts - 1, sliced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 8 oz, halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Avocado 'cream' (ingredients listed separately) - ~1 cup
- Avocados, medium - 1
- Cucumbers - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Ground turkey - Season with cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder and aminos. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Red onions / Sweet potatoes - Prep as directed. Sweet potatoes can be shredded using a box grater or a food processor. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Romaine lettuce / Tomatoes / Cucumbers - Prep as directed.
- Make avocado ‘cream’ - Halve avocado and scoop out flesh. Blend salt, cucumber, avocado, and lime juice in a blender (or use a hand blender) until smooth. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a skillet, saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then red onions and ground turkey to heated oil. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes with some salt. Stir and saute for another 6 to 8 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Divide up romaine lettuce. Layer with turkey and sweet potatoes. Top with tomatoes and avocado ‘cream’ and dig in!
This was great and super easy! To make it dairy-free, I made the crema by smashing the avocado into some vegan cream cheese (~2 Tbsp) and adding chopped cilantro (~1 tsp) and a little squeeze of lime to thin it out.0 Helpful
You can easily make this vegan by replacing the sour cream with the same amount of avocado. I actually prefer it this way. Also great for breakfast!!!0 Helpful
Loved the avocado cream and spices!0 Helpful
I added red peppers and served the avocados on the side instead of as a dressing. Delicious!0 Helpful
I used tortillas that are raw and you quickly heat them up in a bare cast iron skillet. These tacos are amazing. I'll make these again. I ommitted the jalapeño.0 Helpful
Yummy, except for the avocado cream; the yogurt flavor was too predominate. I'll tweak the recipe for next time.0 Helpful