Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos
with avocado cream and romaine salad
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced or crushed
- Onions, red - 1/2, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/4 lb, diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced
- Cilantro (opt) - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco sized (corn or flour) - 8
- Avocado cream (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Romaine lettuce hearts - 2, chopped
- Avocado cream (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/4 cup
- Avocados, medium - 1
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic / Red onions / Sweet potatoes - If prepping right before dinner, get oven heating before returning to prep. Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Romaine lettuce / Jalapenos (opt) / Cilantro (opt) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make avocado cream - Halve avocado and scoop out flesh. Blend sugar, salt, yogurt, avocado, and lime juice in a blender (or use a hand blender) until smooth. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Black beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat oven up to 425F / 218C. (If it’s too hot to use the oven, saute everything in a saute pan or wok. Add water and cover to help sweet potatoes cook faster and throw in beans towards the last 5 minutes of cooking.)
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Toss garlic, red onions, sweet potatoes, and black beans with paprika, cumin, coriander, and oil. Roast for 15 to 22 minutes, shaking and rotating pan midway through.
- Finish roasted black beans and sweet potatoes with a sprinkle of salt.
- Warm up tortillas according to instructions.
- Spoon filling into tortillas and drizzle with about 3/4 of the avocado cream and jalapeno and cilantro (if using). Use rest of avocado cream as a dressing for the romaine lettuce. Enjoy!
This was great and super easy! To make it dairy-free, I made the crema by smashing the avocado into some vegan cream cheese (~2 Tbsp) and adding chopped cilantro (~1 tsp) and a little squeeze of lime to thin it out.0 Helpful
You can easily make this vegan by replacing the sour cream with the same amount of avocado. I actually prefer it this way. Also great for breakfast!!!0 Helpful
Loved the avocado cream and spices!0 Helpful
I added red peppers and served the avocados on the side instead of as a dressing. Delicious!0 Helpful
I used tortillas that are raw and you quickly heat them up in a bare cast iron skillet. These tacos are amazing. I'll make these again. I ommitted the jalapeño.0 Helpful
Yummy, except for the avocado cream; the yogurt flavor was too predominate. I'll tweak the recipe for next time.0 Helpful