Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos
with avocado cream and romaine salad
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced or crushed
- Onions, red - 1/2 , diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/4 lb , diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , sliced
- Cilantro (opt) - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco sized (corn or flour) - 8
- Avocado cream (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Romaine lettuce hearts - 2 , chopped
- Avocado cream (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/4 cup
- Avocados, medium - 1
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
Romaine lettuce / Jalapenos (opt) / Cilantro (opt) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Black beans - Rinse and drain.
Heat oven up to 425F / 218C. (If it’s too hot to use the oven, saute everything in a saute pan or wok. Add water and cover to help sweet potatoes cook faster and throw in beans towards the last 5 minutes of cooking.)
Line a sheet pan with foil. Toss garlic, red onions, sweet potatoes, and black beans with paprika, cumin, coriander, and oil. Roast for 15 to 22 minutes, shaking and rotating pan midway through.
Finish roasted black beans and sweet potatoes with a sprinkle of salt.
Warm up tortillas according to instructions.
Spoon filling into tortillas and drizzle with about 3/4 of the avocado cream and jalapeno and cilantro (if using). Use rest of avocado cream as a dressing for the romaine lettuce. Enjoy!