Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacoswith avocado cream and romaine salad
Sweet potatoes and creamy black beans make for healthy, inexpensive and delicious vegetarian tacos. Drizzled with an avocado cream, they'll taste fancy (but are super simple to make).
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced or crushed
- Onions, red - 1/2, diced
- Potatoes, sweet - 1 1/4 lb, diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced
- Cilantro (opt) - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Paprika - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco sized (corn or flour) - 8
- Avocado cream (ingredients listed separately) - ~3/4 cup
- Romaine lettuce hearts - 2, chopped
- Avocado cream (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/4 cup
- Avocados, medium - 1
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic / Red onions / Sweet potatoes - If prepping right before dinner, get oven heating before returning to prep. Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Romaine lettuce / Jalapenos (opt) / Cilantro (opt) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make avocado cream - Halve avocado and scoop out flesh. Blend sugar, salt, yogurt, avocado, and lime juice in a blender (or use a hand blender) until smooth. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Black beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat oven up to 425F / 218C. (If it’s too hot to use the oven, saute everything in a saute pan or wok. Add water and cover to help sweet potatoes cook faster and throw in beans towards the last 5 minutes of cooking.)
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Toss garlic, red onions, sweet potatoes, and black beans with paprika, cumin, coriander, and oil. Roast for 15 to 22 minutes, shaking and rotating pan midway through.
- Finish roasted black beans and sweet potatoes with a sprinkle of salt.
- Warm up tortillas according to instructions.
- Spoon filling into tortillas and drizzle with about 3/4 of the avocado cream and jalapeno and cilantro (if using). Use rest of avocado cream as a dressing for the romaine lettuce. Enjoy!
This meal has 38 reviews
Loved the avocado cream and spices!
I added red peppers and served the avocados on the side instead of as a dressing. Delicious!
I used tortillas that are raw and you quickly heat them up in a bare cast iron skillet. These tacos are amazing. I'll make these again. I ommitted the jalapeño.
Yummy, except for the avocado cream; the yogurt flavor was too predominate. I'll tweak the recipe for next time.
Better than we thought it'd be. Good crunch with the lettuce and nice sweetness from the potatoes. The avocado cream was a welcome addition too. Glad I doubled that.
over cooked the beans so it was dry