Corn and Tomato Pasta
with chickpea salad
This light pasta makes a quick sauce from cherry tomatoes and adds crunch with sweet summer corn. Topped with tart goat cheese, it's guaranteed to become one of your favorite new pasta dishes. To make sure we get our protein, I pair our vegetarian dish with a hearty bean salad.
Chickpea Salad with Red Peppers & Cucumbers:
- English / Persian cucumbers - 1/2 lb
- Red peppers - 1
- Garbanzo beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , rinsed
- Basil - 2 sprigs , chopped
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
Corn and Tomato Pasta with Goat Cheese:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Cherry tomatoes - 1 pint , halved
- Corn - 3 cobs , kernels shaved
- Basil - 1 to 2 sprigs , sliced into ribbons
- Pasta (like bowtie) - 3/4 lb
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
- Red wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Goat cheese - 4 oz , crumbled
- For salad: Cucumbers / Red peppers / Chickpeas / Basil - Prep as directed.
- For pasta: Garlic / Onions / Tomatoes / Corn / Basil - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt heavily (that water should taste like the ocean!) and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup (118 ml) of the salted pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add in olive oil, and then garlic and diced onions to heated oil with a pinch of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes with red wine vinegar and another pinch of salt. Saute until they've broken down and formed a sauce, 8 to 10 minutes. Add in corn kernels and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Toss with drained pasta and reserved pasta water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with goat cheese and basil.
- Whisk together balsamic, mustard, and oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Toss vinaigrette with cucumbers, peppers, chickpeas, and basil and enjoy with pasta.